School Social Work Referral for Services & Support

Some concerns that may prompt a School Social Work Referral:

  • Mental health concerns
  • Abuse or neglect
  • Lack of basic needs/homelessness
  • Pregnancy or teen parent needs
  • Change in academic performance
  • Chronic attendance or tardiness issues
  • Coping or social skills deficits
  • Facilitation of school-home-community communication
  • Student advocacy
  • Referral, monitoring, collaboration to and with community agencies
  • Staff support and/or development
  • Substance abuse

When should I refer a student to a School Social Worker?
A student should be referred to the school social worker when the student shows signs of social and/or emotional difficulties which are interfering with the student’s success at school.

How do I make a referral?
As your School Social Worker, services are provided with a holistic approach focusing on the student’s environment and resiliency, as well as providing supports for schools, students and families to promote the student’s educational success. To access school social work services, contact our Central Office at 757-393-8766. These services can be initiated by anyone with a concern. Upon receipt of the referral, action will be taken to assist with addressing the concerns. Once the concern has been addressed, the results (along with recommendations) will be sent to the referral source.

Click here for a diagram explaining the tiers of support.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2023 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.