Portsmouth residents who are interested in their child attending the Bright Start program can still apply now while there is still space available.
Click Here for the Preschool Requirements
Portsmouth Public Schools Bright Start Preschool Program, A Virginia Preschool Initiative “Every Child deserves a Bright Start."
The Bright Start Program is made possible through the Virginia Preschool Initiative. It is designed to provide a high quality developmentally appropriate preschool education for the four-year-olds in Portsmouth who meet the established at-risk criteria. Selection for participation in the program is based on the determination of need detailed by the state and local district.
Selection to Bright Start is determined by specific eligibility criteria.
• At or below 200% poverty level
• Parent(s) did not graduate high school
• Family income is at or below 350% poverty in the case of a child with special needs or disability
• Child being raised by someone other than birth parent(s)
• Grandparent, aunt, cousin, foster, other guardian, etc.
• Must have proof of custody
• Military (Active duty, Deployment, Veterans)
• English Language Learner
• Parent Incarceration
• Single Parent Home
• Disabled Parent
Additional information may be obtained by contacting the school the student should attend after June 20th. To determine the school, please contact the transportation department at (757) 393-8269 or click here.
For questions, please call 757-393-5128 or 757-393-8392.